The last thing anyone wants to let sit in their house for days, is a water-damaged carpet to dry out on its own. This is because it will leave the house with such a gut-wrenching stench that’s not only difficult to live with, but one that would create an unhealthy environment giving room for mould growth.
Most of the time, when a carpet is soaked with water, it is not likely to be clean water; this, by leaving the carpet to air dry, you will also be creating a space for the dirt to live too, as long as the carpet is wet.
One of the first and most important things to do when trying to fix a water-soaked carpet is to locate the source of the water and figure out where the water is coming from to determine if it’s something that can be stopped like a burst water pipe for example.
Another way to create a safer space is to also kill the electricity, as water and electricity do not go well together. Killing the electricity can protect most of your electrical appliances.
Also, while you are drying this carpet, you can remove all your furniture to avoid further damage to some sensitive furniture like velvet.
Here are some of the best ways to dry your carpet:
- VENTILATION: As mentioned above, humid air is attractive to moulds in the same way that moths are attracted to light. If you have a water situation and your carpet is soaked, you must not give room for mould growth. One of the best ways to begin a flooded carpet drying is by airing out of your space.
Moulds would generally start growing in a humid environment as early as 48 hours, so you want to get the humidity out as fast as you can. This would require you to take steps like:
– Leaving your windows open
– Make use of a fan to spread the air and channel the humidity.
– If a ‘wet Vacuum cleaner’ is available, make use of it.
A suitable and sufficient room for good ventilation will remove the humidity and make way for fresh air so that you can breathe comfortably in your space.
- MAKE USE OF BAKING SODA: Baking soda has proven to be more than a multi-purpose home cleaning agent – when dealing with a wet or heavily soaked carpet, it can also double as a solid anti-deodorant too!
The process of making use of baking soda for an effective carpet drying in the Lower North Shore, is to sprinkle a generous amount of the powder on your soaked carpet and let it sit for some time. Not only will the baking soda absorb the water in the carpet, but it would also get rid of the nasty stench that may emanate from the flood damaged carpet.
After soaking in all the water in the carpet, doing a complete drying process will become a lot easier. You can now go over the carpet with a vacuum cleaner to absorb residual moisture.
The baking soda drying process is an easy one. It is also very affordable when you cannot afford carpet drying service, and requires no complex steps. However, if the carpet is a large one, you would have to use a large amount of the powder. This might not be healthy if inhaled, as it can cause gastrointestinal irritation.
- STEAM CLEANING: Steaming is arguably the most popular and well-used flood damage carpet drying process. Most carpet manufacturing companies recommend this technique for carpet drying Inner West, and even go as far as waiving guarantee rights if a different carpet drying method is used.
The steam drying of a carpet starts with pre-treating a carpet with a cleaning agent that breaks down the dirt, then hot water is used to give the carpet a thorough wash. Simultaneously, a powerful moist vacuum is used to extract the dirt, steam, and cleaning agent.
Most professionals come with a truck with a mounted compartment for the pressurised water, and a more powerful vacuum machine. This method isn’t only excellent for dirt removal, it also works for removing mould and foul odour from the carpets.
- HOT WATER EXTRACTION: Hot water extraction is a process that combines pressurised water mixed with special cleaning agents, that are injected into the carpet at high pressure to loosen the dirt, stains, soil, and dry up the moisture from the carpet.
One great thing about hot water extraction is that it dries the moisture from the carpet and doubles as a cleaning process that removes all the dirt from the soaked carpet.
A powerful vacuum extracts the dirty water and debris from the carpet. Hot Water Extraction is an effective deep-cleaning method for commercial and domestic use. This method helps to remove both water and dirt trapped way down into the carpet fibres.
- PROFESSIONAL DRYCLEANING: In case you have tried most of the options, and they haven’t proven to be completely effective, you should search for and employ the services of a professional drying and cleaning company that has the tools to make your carpet as good as new in no time.
In your search for excellent carpet drying Sydney, you should check the expert services of Mr Flood, where you will get the best and most efficient professional cleaning service that would leave your space feeling just right.
There are so many different ways to handle a water damage carpet drying. So how do you know which drying process is most efficient for your carpet? Well, you can try some of the easy and homemade options listed above, and make a decision.
If the carpet that needs drying is large or primarily used in a public building, you should hire a professional cleaning service to make the smell and humidity disappear. So, go ahead, and check out the expert services offered by Mr. Flood for the best Carpet drying services Bondi!